Using a word twice in a row isn’t always a no-no, however there’s constantly an extra elegant way to revise a sentence in which you could initially be inclined to repeat a word instantly. When words collide, try these approaches:
1. “What you do carry out is your very own business.”Even if this sentence is intfinished as a countersuggest to a “what you don’t do” proplace, the emphatic first do is superfluous (“What you carry out is your own business”). If you have to retain the repetition, introduce a separating phrase: “What you execute decide to execute is your own organization.”
2. “They had had many kind of arguments.”Relocation the second had with a prepositional expression (“They had gotten right into many type of arguments”) or an extra specific verb (“They had endured many kind of arguments”), or introduce more vivid imagery into a revision (“They had verbally sparred many times”).
You are watching: Using the same word twice in a sentence is called
3. “I confirmed her her message.”Relocation one pronoun — preferably, both of the pronouns — with a noun (“I verified my sister the woman’s message”). This isn’t a difficulty with him, because two forms of the pronoun would certainly appear (“I confirmed him his message”), though, again, if him and also his describe different males, it could be much better to specify, in area of one pronoun or the various other, among the men in question.
4. “He came in in disselection.”Rearea the prepositional phrase via a basic verb (“She entered in disarray”).
5. “She provides in in eincredibly instance.”Sindicate recast the last expression (“She provides in eextremely time”) or flip the phrase to the front (“In eexceptionally instance, she gives in”).
6. “What it is is a travesty.”“What it is” is constantly an unnecessarily verbose way to begin a sentence. Start with the topic (“It’s a travesty”).
7. “I inserted the card I had actually created on on the desk.”Recast the prepositional phrase “created on” via on at its head (“I inserted the card on which I had written the note on the desk”). But initially confirm that the modifying expression entailing written is important at all.
8. “We realize that that will certainly not be satismanufacturing facility.”Replace the second that through a noun (“We realize that the proposal will certainly not be satisfactory”).
9. “We will certainly discuss this this evening.”Replace the initially this with a pronoun (“We will discuss it this evening”) or a noun (“We will certainly talk about the matter this evening”).
10. “Is tright here someone I deserve to talk to to resolve the issue?”Employ a participial phrase in place in the infinitive phrase “to resolve” (“Is tbelow someone I have the right to talk to about resolving the issue?”) or amplify the second to by replacing it with the phrase “in order to” (“Is tbelow someone I can talk to in order to settle the issue?”).
Occasionally, an immediate repetition of a word, separated from the first instance by punctuation, is appropriate for emphatic result (“I have come right here from much, much away”). At other times, even though punctuation separates the repetition, a recast would certainly enhance the sentence. For instance, “Even though I was tbelow, tbelow didn’t seem to be anypoint for me to do” might be revised to “Even though I was tright here, I didn’t seem to be of any use” or “Despite my presence, tbelow didn’t seem to be anything for me to execute.”
Want to enhance your English in 5 minutes a day? Get a subscription and also start receiving our composing tips and exercises daily!
Keep learning! Browse the Layout category, check our popular posts, or pick a connected article below:
12 Responses to “What to Do When Words Appear Twice in a Row”Oliver Lawrenceon November 22, 2011 8:14 am
2) Ssuggest “They had often argued” implements the plain language principle of using a vivid verb fairly than a weak verb + nominalization (had + arguments).
3) As you say, better to stop making use of two pronouns together unless it is unequivocally clear to whom they each refer.
5) “She always offers in” is the obvious simplification.
7) “I put the card on which I had created the note on the desk” may easily make some readers stumble, reasoning that “the note on the desk” is the object of “written”. Additionally, “I took the card on which I had actually written the note, and I put it on the desk”.
8) “We realize that will not be satisfactory” is even easier.Demosthenekid November 22, 2011 11:16 am
I primarily usage FrameMaker, and also it instantly pings recurring words. It is incredibly difficult to discourage in instances when they are, in fact, desired. It will certainly primarily enable you to usage words in a details file, however not repeated words.
I created a chapter on mnemonics recently, and also I supplied medical examples. Tright here is a mnemonic for the cranial nerves that starts “Oh, Oh, Oh,” and then proceeds to a vivid and also memorable picture. FrameMaker HATES this. I have had actually to reexpression it as “Oh, Ooh, Oh.”Clinton November 22, 2011 3:31 pm
When utilizing in dialogue, would inserting a comma be acceptable in the instance of:“What it is, is a travesty!”?Or maybe including an ellipsis,“What it is. . . is a travesty.”?
Anvarious other quickly correctable, yet widespread blunder I’ve encountered:“Is that that thing that’s been smelling so awful?”Mark Nicholon November 22, 2011 8:09 pm
If you should repeat is in such a building and construction, yes, insert a comma.Retta McSweeneyon November 23, 2011 1:33 am
There you are using that horrendous word “got” formation in the second instance. To say “They had actually obtained into many type of arguments” is an extremely bad instance of great English. “They had actually previous arguments” or “They had actually been in many type of arguments” would certainly certainly work-related much better and definitely sound better than “gotten”, which sounds so gutteral.Paul Mon November 24, 2011 4:15 pm
I knew someone would pounce on “gotten”. I agree in this situation, although probably not so vehemently, that it just sounds prefer bad grammar.
It seems that double words are supplied ideal in dialogue I think, wright here it has a tendency to be most discovered.Rainon November 25, 2011 8:46 pm
This is valuable advice. In reality, after analysis it I went and also changed a couple of instances of “had actually had” in the novel I’m creating.
But what do you perform once you can’t change it? In one component of my novel, the phrase “They had had actually personalities” shows up at the end of a paragraph. I cannot readjust the framework of the sentence without altering the entire paragraph bereason I aim to use the parallelism in sentence structure to convey a sarcasm which is essential in that point in the story; I checked the (excellent) thesaurus I usually use as soon as composing, and also namong the synonyms for ‘have’ appears to work-related or have actually the desired result (“They had owned personalities” just sounds silly). What would you perform in such a situation?
Thanks for the advice. =)
/ Rainvenqaxon December 03, 2011 7:33 pm
I assume the anti-gottenists are not Americans, to whom, acquired sounds not only fine, but correct and also organic. Personally, I see no have to prevent the double words in many instances. I think it comes off fine to say, “What is is is not the issue”. BUT, what is not acceptable is ssuggest skipping the repetion and also not re-wording, as in, “Is there someone I can talk to fix this issue?” or “She offers in eincredibly instance.” That happens in speech through fair frequency.Culleyon March 22, 2018 8:37 am
Using words that are the very same ago to back the method your all utilizing them is dubbed the I wantitis like gingivitis. Your neglected you have actually the I wantitisTwinkleon June 11, 2018 10:06 am
Is this sentence correct?I wish if somebody would certainly ask me if i am happy.EDTon May 01, 2019 11:31 am
That’s correct if you make a wish in the instance that someone asks you if you’re happy. However, you likely expect to say:
I wish that somebody would ask me if I am happy.
I hope you’re happy now.
See more: " Learn To Live With What You Are Ben Folds Five, Learn To Live With What You Are Chords
“What it is” is frequently offered as a means to place emphasis on the word “is.” That’s not somepoint easily completed with either “it’s” or even “it is”:
“I think that’s fantastic!”“No, what it (really) IS is awful.”
That doesn’t have rather the same effect as “No, IT’S awful” or “No, it IS awful.”
I expect one might say, “No, actually, it’s awful,” and move the emphasis to “actually.” But if that’s the instance, then the trouble isn’t with the phrase “what it is” being “always verbose,” considering that the solution is even even more verbose.