On the night of April 14, 1912, the R.M.S. Titanic chugged with the frigid waters of the North Atlantic Ocean, its over 2,200 riders unmindful of the looming risk.
You are watching: How many football fields was the titanic
Less than a week previously, the luxury steamship—at the moment the biggest artificial relocating object in the world—left Southampton, England, for New York City. Travelers had actually supposed a posh and also comfortable ride. After all, the Titanic’s lavishly decorated first-course section featured gourmet meals, a heated pool, and also squash courts. The ship also had its own onboard newspaper.
The magestic Titanic sailing in calm waters
Photo by Philcold, Dreamstime
But the Titanic’s style also had major fregulations. For circumstances, some think that many type of of the bolts that organized the ship together were weak. The bottom of the boat was additionally not developed to withstand also major flooding. And the steamship carried just 20 lifeboats—just enough to host about fifty percent of the passengers.
Four days after setting sail, the Titanic struck an iceberg that tore a 300-foot gash into the ship’s hull. As it flooded, riders began a frenzied evacuation right into the lifeboats. Only about 700 would endure. And the ship, which took three years to build, would sink in much less than 3 hours. Though researchers and historians think that the architecture fregulations were the major components that brought about the disaster, they proceed to study the renowned steamship for answers. So more than a a century after the Titanic tragedy, its story continues to be afloat.
MORE TITANIC FACTS
• The many expensive tickets to take a trip aboard Titanic expense around $99,000 in today"s money.
• The Titanic was nearly as lengthy as three footround fields.
• To feed the passengers and crew, Titanic had actually 86,000 pounds of meat, 40,000 eggs, 40 tons of potatoes, 7,000 heads of lettuce, 3,500 pounds of onions, 36,000 apples, and 1,000 loaves of bcheck out on board.
• Titanic was one of the first ships to have actually a telephone system and also electric lights in all the rooms.
• Including the 4 smoke stacks, the Titanic was as tall as a 17-story structure.
• Titanic had four elevators, a heated swimming pool, a gym, two libraries, and two barber shops.
• Each day, the passsengers and crew offered 14,000 gallons of drinking water.
• Titanic"s engines used even more than 800 lots of coal each day. The ship"s optimal rate was 24 knots (27 miles an hour).
• Smoke and also vapor made by the Titanic"s boilers escaped via three stacks. Builders added a fourth stack because they believed it made the ship look better.
See more: Que Tiempo Dura La Peticion De Un Hermano Ciudadano A Otro Hermano
• Titanic might bring 3,547 passengers and crew. About 2,200 civilization traveled on its first voyage.